Equipment: Large skillet, wooden spoon or spatula, measuring cups and spoons, serving platter
8 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
2 red bell pepper, finely diced
6 scallions, thinly sliced
8 cloves garlic, minced
2 pound ground chicken (at least 90% lean)
1/2 TSP salt
2/3 cup Chinese plum sauce
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup rice vinegar
Sriracha to taste
1/2 cup cilantro, minced
1 head Boston Lettuce (may substitute iceberg lettuce or romaine)
- Liberally coat a large skillet with oil spray, and preheat it over medium high heat.
- Add the carrots, bell peppers, scallions, ginger and garlic. Sauté, until the vegetables soften slightly, about 5 minutes, adding a tablespoon of water at a time as necessary to prevent scorching.
- Reapply oil spray if necessary, and the ground chicken to the skillet. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink, breaking the meat into a fine crumble with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Season with the black pepper.
- Add the plum sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, and chili paste and stir to coat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until heated through.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, and stir in the cilantro. Allow the mixture to cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Clean the lettuce and break off individual leaves (trim away the stem end of the leaves if they are tough). Fill each lettuce cup with roughly 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture. Garnish with additional cilantro if desired.
Sesame Noodles with Vegetables
Equipment: Large pot, large frying pan, tongs, measuring cups and spoons, blender or Nutribullet, large mixing bowl
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 TBSP +1 TSP fresh ginger
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 TBSP rice vinegar
2 TBSP packed light brown sugar
8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
2 zucchinis, Spiralized
2 TBSP sesame oil
6 scallions, white and light green parts, finely chopped
4 carrots, grated or Spiralized
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
2 TBSP sesame seeds
- Puree peanut butter, garlic, soy sauce, rice vinegar and brown sugar in a blender (or whisk if you do not have a blender). With blender running, pour in 1/4 cup hot water and blend until smooth.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook noodles until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again. Transfer to a large bowl. Set up the Spiralizer and churn the zucchini into noodles. Transfer all noodles to a large mixing bowl and toss with sesame oil.
- Toss scallions, carrots and sauce in bowl with noodles. Sprinkle with cilantro and sesame seeds. Serve on a large platter.